Everyone wants to avoid emergency situations. These incidents can throw off your entire day, cost you lots of money, and leave you feeling stressed out and in pain. Unfortunately, dental problems are at the root of many preventable visits to the ER. In fact, a recent study found that 3.5 percent of emergency room visits should never have happened. Many of those avoidable incidents had to do with dental problems. Taking care of your teeth might be the key to preventing trips to your local hospital.
Regular Dental Visits Stop Problems in Their Tracks
Experts recommend that adults and children visit their dentist twice a year for cleanings and checkups, and not because they want dental care professionals to make lots of money. It’s important to see your dentist every six months for a few reasons:
- Even if you’re diligent about brushing and flossing, there could be places you miss. Decay develops in these areas and leads to pain and infections. Your dentist can tell you about spots you’ve missed and repair any new damage before it becomes severe.
- Regular cleanings remove plaque and tartar. While plaque is easy enough to remove with your toothbrush, your routine at home isn’t enough to get rid of tartar. A professional needs to do that.
- When crowns or fillings fail, you could end up in a world of hurt. Your dentist can inspect these and repair them before they break or fall out.
- Your dentist can diagnose and repair gum disease, which can lead to serious complications if it doesn’t get treated in a timely manner.
- X-rays and other tools let your dentist spot problems that are developing beneath your gum line.
Dentists Care for Your Unique Needs
Some oral healthcare habits are essential for everyone, whereas some individuals need to use specific products or techniques to care for their teeth. Your dentist will ask you about your habits, smile goals, and lifestyle and give you tips accordingly.
For example, if you play sports, your dentist may recommend that you wear a custom mouth guard. It will protect your teeth, lips, gums, and tongue from injury; it might even help prevent concussions. On the other hand, perhaps you use tobacco. Your dentist might therefore recommend that you use a certain toothpaste or get dental cleanings more frequently in order to protect your pearly whites from damage.
When you’re talking with your dentist, be open and honest about any concerns you have. It’s likely that they’ll be able to provide you with information or treatments that could prevent a dental emergency down the road.
Trips to the ER are scary, painful, and costly. Protect your smile by making your dentist one of your best friends.
About Monarch Dentistry
The dentists at Monarch Dentistry is happy to provide preventive services to folks in the Vienna area. They can also repair damage that might have already occurred. If you have concerns about your oral health, contact our office at 703-714-7374.