Just hearing the word dentist can send chills down the spine of many people. The notion of sharp needles slowly creeping through your gums or simply imaging dental drill drilling in your teeth could be enough to cause panic; preventing you from visiting the dentist. If such situation sounds familiar, then sedation dentistry is the best available option for you.
What exactly is sedation dentistry?
Sedation dentistry is one of the dental procedures that involve the use of sedatives to keep the patient calm and relaxed. The sedatives could be in any form such as tranquilizers, nitrous oxide, or anti-anxiety medication. Conventionally, it was common to apply sedatives through IV or intravenous therapy that involves vaccinating sedative into the vein of the patient’s hand. Then again, the use of vaccination may incite fear in some patients.
These days with the tremendous advancement in the field of dental technologies, an alternative of administering sedatives without vaccination, has been found. Today, the dental patients can completely avoid the painful needles by taking anti-anxiety medication through their mouth. This sedation dentistry has indeed opened up a revolutionary way for a pain free visit to the dentist.
Some of the facts of sedation dentistry:
- You can relax throughout the entire dental treatment.
- You won’t remember any sounds or smells of a dental drill and dental medications.
- You will have little or no memory of the dental experience.
- Complex dental treatments that require multiple visits can often be done in one or two visits.
- Sedation dentistry is safe and proven technique for pain free dental treatment.